Bekal is a small place located on the shores of the Arabian Sea in the Pallikare village in Kasargod district of Kerala state, South India. Bekal Fort is a major tourist attraction in the state. It is situated around 15 km. to south of Kasargod town. According to Bekal Rama Nayak, a local Kannada writer, the word Bekal is derived from the word Baliakulam, meaning Big Pond. The term Baliakulam got corrupted as Bekulam and later as Bekal. Spreading over 40 acres, Bekal Fort is the largest and best preserved fort in the State. An alluring view of the sea shore as well as its exhilarating natural beauty attracts tourists and nature-lovers. Bekal Fort is fast emerging as an international tourist centre.
Bekal, situated on the seashore of Pallikara village, is an important place of tourist interest in the district. It lies 12 kms. south of Kasargod town. According to Bekal Rama Nayak, a local Kannada writer, the word, Bekal is derived from the word Baliakulam, meaning Big Palace. The place is said to have been the seat of a big palace in the past. The term Baliakulam got corrupted as Bekulam and later as Bekal.
It was usual in older days for every royal palace to be protected by a fort. The Bekal for might have, therefore, existed even from early days of the Chirakkal Rajas. While giving a description of the Kolathiri Kingdom in his Kerala History, K.P. Padmanabha Menon writes; “The eldest of the male members reigned as sovereign Kolathiri. The next in succession, the heir apparent, was the Thekkelamkur. The residence assigned to him was the Vadakara fort. The third in succession was the Vadakkelamkur in charge of Vekkolath fort. This V(B)ekkolath fort is identified by some scholars as the present Bekal”.
H.A.Stuart, in his Handbook of South Canara (1985), makes this observation: “….. Several forts were built by the Shivappa Nayaks of Badnore between 1650 and 1670 A.D. The two forts of Bekal and Chandragiri were originally under the Kolathiri or Chirakkal Rajas until the time of Shivappa Nayaka’s invasion. Perhaps, the Bednore rulers might have rebuilt and improved it”.